Synapse supports ACH debits and ACH credits between bank accounts (in addition to other payment types). You can either send funds directly through two parties OR pass them through an intermediary account (preferred).
Below is the basic information about setting up ACH Payments on our system.
Do I have to redirect customers to Synapse?
No, our API allows you to send payment instructions between bank accounts without redirecting customers to Synapse. You control your user interface. However, we do require certain disclosures and notifications for compliance purposes.
What are the stages of a transaction?
The standard payment flow has the following stages:
- CREATED -- Payment instructions are received by our system & are waiting to be submitted to the ACH network.
- PROCESSING-DEBIT -- Funds are being debited from an external account into an account on our network. These funds either land in a clearing account to be sent to the fund recipient or they will pass through an account in your platform's name or your customer's name.
- PROCESSING-CREDIT -- Funds are being credited from an account on our platform into an external account.
- SETTLED -- Funds have settled in the fund recipient's account (Note: There is still a risk for returns or chargebacks)
Platforms can only cancel transactions in the CREATED or QUEUED stage.
Payment instructions are submitted to the ACH network on business days (Mon - Fri). Note that payments are not submitted on weekends or bank holidays.
9AM PT -- For Same Day ACH (must be enabled)
4PM PT -- For Regular ACH
End of Day -- Same Day ACH (must be enabled)
11AM PT -- Regular ACH (next Day)
Please refer to your agreed upon Flow of Funds + CIP for platform-specific settlement times.
Settlement speed is a function of risk. However, our standard settlement time is 1 day debit, 1 day credit for ACH transactions.
In other words, to send from Bank Account A to Bank Account B, it would take 2 days (1 day to debit Bank Account A, 1 day to credit Bank Account B)
Below is an example of an ACH Debit, including settlement and return windows. ACH Credits follow the same timeline.
|Description||Cutoff Time (PT)||Status|
|Platform creates a transaction||Day 1, 9:00AM||CREATED|
|Synapse submits ACH Batch to Partner Bank ("ODFI)||Day 1, 2:00PM*||PROCESSING-DEBIT|
|ODFI forwards ACH request to Fed, who then sends to RDFI||Day 2, 12:01AM||PROCESSING-DEBIT|
|RDFI picks up ACH request who then forwards to recipient||Day 2, 11:00AM||SETTLED|
|RDFI sends ACH return to Fed, who then sends to ODFI||Day 4, 12:01AM||SETTLED|
|ODFI picks up ACH request, who then forwards to sender||Day 4, 3:00PM||RETURNED|
(1) This chart assumes no delays (for late or queued transactions, weekends, holidays, etc) and does not account for Chargebacks.
(2) Our ACH Batch Time is 2PM PT, though transactions after 12PM PT may be submitted in the following day's batch.
Returns, Chargebacks & Disputes:
Even thought a transaction has settled, there is still a risk for returns or chargebacks
Have more questions about ACH settlements with Synapse? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.